MN Building Code - Building Permits

The City of Ghent has adopted the Minnesota State Building Code because we realize that your home is an investment.  If your construction project does not comply with the minimum codes, the value of your investment could be reduced.  Upholding the standards of building protects the value of your home as an investment as well as future owners.  Your permit also allows our code official to protect the public by reducing the potential hazards of unsafe construction and ensuring public health, safety, and welfare. 

The City of Ghent contracts with 101 Development Resources/Darin Haslip as our building inspector to administer our building permits.  He will assist you with your construction project in an efficient and accountable manner. Darin is responsible for permitting all construction and conducting inspections of all construction-related permits as well as issuance of Certificates of Occupancy.

To obtain a permit for both residential and commercial uses, simply click on the link below to complete an application form and submit payment.  If you have questions, please give us a call and we will be happy to help.  Below is an example of projects that require a permit.  See TITLE XV: 151 Zoning under the "Government" tab to review the full zoning ordinance or click on the link below to see the full Minnesota Building Code.  


  • New Construction, Additions, Garages, Decks
  • Interior Remodeling that includes Sheetrock, Plumbing, or Electrical work
  • Exterior Remodeling that Replaces Siding, Windows, Doors, Garage Doors, or Shingles
  • Storage Sheds over 200 Square Feet
  • Fences (see Fence Permit Tab)
  • Retaining walls above 4 feet
  • Demolition of structures


Contact Info

101 Developement Resources
Darin Haslip
P.O. Box 22 Arlington, MN 55307
[email protected]